As you probably know, I am on a perpetual mission to reduce plastic use.
And today the EcoNuts Soap Nuts I ordered arrived! Â This product is an all natural alternative to laundry detergent.
Soap Nuts are actually dried berries of the Himalayan Soap Nut tree.Â When agitated in water, these dried berries produce Saponin – a natural cleaner that works as a surfactant.
The list of benefits of Eco Nuts Soap is impressive:
- Soap nuts are gentle and natural. They are a great option for those with allergies and sensitivities as the product is 100% natural. It is only dried soap berries that you put in a cloth bag and add to water. It also means they are great for baby clothes, those with psoriasis, and eczema.
- Soap Nuts do not contain artificial foaming agents, so they are not creating a huge impact on our waterways or septic tanks.
- Â Soap Nuts are wild harvested and the trees are not treated with pesticides or chemicals. So the product is organic and has a low impact on ecosystems by creating no artificial disturbances.
- Soap Nuts are packaged in a paper box and therefore totally forego any need for another stupid plastic bottle of soap!
- Soap Nuts are a good bang for your buck. The box goes for $10 on Amazon and claims to be enough for 100 loads (which would be about 3 bottles of detergent).
Yay ECO NUTS!
I tested them out on a regular old load of laundry. I threw 5 of the Nuts into the cloth bag provided and dumped it in with my clothes. Set on the regular wash cycle and my clothes now seem clean. Success!
If you are one of those people who LOVES the scent of laundry detergent, this product is not for you. The clothes come out clean, but they don’t smell all weird and fake scented like perfume.
If you are in the US, you can order your Eco Nuts on their website here:
You can also order for other countries, but the $hipping is bonker$! So, ordering through Amazon proves to be a better deal if you are in someplace silly, like say, Canada.